(seafood.vasep.com.vn) From June 12 to June 17, 2022, the VASEP’s IUU Working Group hold a dialogue program with the Sub-Department of Fisheries, fishing ports, fishermen and businesses of Binh Dinh, Phu Yen and Khanh Hoa on fighting IUU fishing.
VASEP's program to support seafood enterprises committing to join the anti-IUU fishing commitment was launched in 2017 when Vietnam received the IUU Yellow Card warning from the EU. From 2017 to now, many activities of the Program have been implemented effectively and have been recognized by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, the Directorate of Fisheries, the Delegation of the European Union to Vietnam, central and local authorities and enterprises members.
Continuing the program held in the past 4 years, VASEP will continue its activities in 2022 on the basis of joining hands with localities and fishermen as well as implementing a program to support enterprise members to fulfill their commitments to combat IUU fishing.
Accordingly, from 12 June to 17 June 2022, the IUU Working Group of VASEP deployd a working program in 3 provinces respectively Binh Dinh, Phu Yen, and Khanh Hoa. The program included the following activities:
(1) Meeting and working with the Fisheries Sub-Departments of Binh Dinh, Phu Yen and Khanh Hoa, discussing their advantages and disadvantages in the certification of caught seafood and other anti-IUU tasks.
(2) Working with the Management Boards of Fishing Ports in Binh Dinh, Phu Yen and Khanh Hoa, discussing the pros and cons of fishing ports in the inspection of fishing vessels leaving and landing, recording and measuring catches, landing fish species, material validation and other anti-IUU tasks.
(3) Meeting with seafood enterprises in 3 provinces to exchange and support with their IUU teams to complete documents--processes-procedures and implementation of IUU work in enterprises. Besides, exchange and summarize difficulties and problems and make recommendations for enterprises in the program against IUU fishing as well as seafood processing and exporting in general.
(4) Especially, VASEP cooperated with Binh Dinh, Phu Yen and Khanh Hoa Departments of Agriculture and Rural Development organized a dialogue conference "Controlling IUU and connecting Fishermen - Purchasing Facility - Enterprise - Locality".
In Binh Dinh, the conference was held on the morning of June 14, 2022 (8:30-11:00) at the Hall of Thanh Binh Guest House - 06 Ly Thuong Kiet, Quy Nhon.
In Phu Yen, the Conference was held on the afternoon of June 15, 2022 (13:00-17:00), at the Hall of the People's Committee of Ward 7, Tuy Hoa, Phu Yen.
In Khanh Hoa, the conference was held on the morning of June 17, 2022 (8h00-11h00), at Thanh Phat Thanh Dat Inter-village Cultural House - Phuoc Dong Commune - Ton Duc Thang Dan Street, Hon Ro, Nha Trang.
Mrs. Nguyen Thi Thu Sac (Vice Chairwoman of VASEP) gave speech in the conference
The conference include following activities:
- Giving gifts to fishermen and partners in the chain of seafood fishing
- Discuss the advantages & disadvantages of fishermen in implementing regulations against IUU fishing.
- Discuss the advantages & disadvantages of enterprises, collection agents in the work of catch statement; catch certification ...
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the Fisheries Sub-Department, the fishing port in performing the certifying AFF and anti-IUU tasks.
In addition, VASEP collaborated with Binh Dinh, Phu Yen and Khanh Hoa Departments of Agriculture and Rural Development to present notebooks with the message of responsible fishing and anti-IUU printed on the cover to the children of fishermen or people living in the coastal area. They, as future generations following their parent’s footsteps, would have higher awareness of combating IUU fishing.
In Binh Dinh, on the afternoon of June 13, 2022 (14h00 - 14h45) VASEP representatives presented notebooks to pupils of Tam Quan Bac Secondary School - Tan Thanh 1, Hoai Nhon, Binh Dinh.
In Phu Yen, on the morning of June 15, 2022 (9:30 - 10:00) the team gave notebooks to pupils of Luong The Vinh Secondary School - 283 Ba Trieu, Ward 7, City. Tuy Hoa, Phu Yen.
Giving notebooks to pupils
In Khanh Hoa, on the afternoon of June 16, 2022 (13h30 - 14h00) VASEP presented notebooks to pupils of Nguyen Hien Secondary School - 38A Le Hong Phong, Phuoc Tan, Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa. And from 14:30 to 15:00, presenting notebooks to students of Phuoc Hai 3 Primary School - Thich Quan Duc Street, VCN Urban Area, Phuoc Hai Ward, Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa.
Working programs and dialogues during business trips of the VASEP’s IUU Working Group will help the association understand the real problems of the seafood fishing chain in the anti IUU fishing program. Thereby, VASEP will be able to make plans supporting and advising the marine product chain's components, as well as reporting and proposing to state management agencies more effective solutions for overcoming the IUU yellow card and taking back Vietnam's seafood fishing's prestige and position in the EU market.
Compiled by Thuy Linh